Label Design & Layout Advice
Making the Best of Your Asset and Security Labels
Before proceeding to printing labels we always ask customers approval of their bespoke label layout. This ensures that you receive the label appropriate for your specific requirements. We e-mail a graphic image file as a proof for your approval of the layout design etc. at this time you can make any adjustments before we continue to printing.
Our clients come from throughout the UK as well internationally and we therefore make use of e-mail as well as having a 24/7 receptionist for enquiries.
Design Criteria Advice:
- Property of: Using these words will in most instances not be required as the label usually has company’s name on it and this makes reference to the ownership.
- Lines of text : (MORE IS LESS!) Obviously the more lines of text, the smaller a font is required when fitting text into the width of the label. The number of lines of text used in the label dictates how large or small are the fonts used!
- Font Styles: We supply all of the popular fonts and also have an enormous range of styles and types styles available. If you would like to specify a particular font (as used in your company logo) please remember to email this at the time of ordering, we will endeavour to incorporate it into your design.
- Fonts: We’ve found through many label designs, using San Serif fonts such as Tahoma and Arial to be more legible than serif fonts.
- Serial Numbers: As a rule we will use the largest serial number appropriate for your specific label design.
- Human Legible Barcode: Along with serialized bar codes you can have the same sequence of numbers and / or letters printed above/below the actual barcode as “human readable” text. Obviously this takes up room on your label, however, we find our customers like this feature applied to their own specific label.
- Logos or Graphics: We can apply company logo’s to the labels when space permits! These may be placed either on the top or side of the label. Emailing us the high resolution image file you have is preferred, we can reduce the size if required. This is provided you can send a true black and white graphic file as this gives the best result.
- Keeping it Basic: We have found that the most functional and aesthetically pleasing labels are often those that have a simple, balanced appearance. The use of an excess in text requires us to use smaller sized fonts. This greatly reduces the legibility as well as visual appearance. When using a “human readable barcode” a line of text along the top (for Company identification) with a line at the bottom is all you could expect, with perhaps a small logo on one side of the label depending on the space available!
- Portable Property: If your labels are intended for use on smaller yet valuable items eg. mobile phones, laptops, PDA’s etc., we suggest having labels printed using a telephone number, web / email address. All we require is a comment in the comment box, when ordering.